In June 2012 the FDA approved a new weight loss medication called Belviq as an effective, long term weight management drug.
It will only be available by prescription, so don’t look for this at your local wheat germ / green coffee bean extract store or sold online through some ‘Miracle Cure to Weight Loss’ website.
This medication went through two years of clinical trials covering over 7,000 patients.
Belviq (lorcaserin hydrochloride) may be prescribed for patients with a BMI of 30 or greater or for patients with a BMI of 27 or greater with other weight-related conditions like hypertension or type 2 diabetes. The standard dose is two 10mg pills a day. Belviq should be used along with a reduced-calorie diet and an exercise plan. You should be re-evaluated after 12 weeks to see if this medication is working for you.
Belviq works by activating receptors in your brain that make you feel full (serotonin receptors). Belviq is not a stimulant. Belviq does not change how food is metabolized.
You cannot take Belviq if you are pregnant.
As with any prescribed medication, there are possible side effects and a medical professional should be consulted to warn you of potential conflicts with other medications.
Why you should go to Professional Weight Control Centers
- You need a team that will go over your medical information and enhance your weight loss program based on your specific needs.
- You need a team trained in bariatric medicine that is knowledgeable in contraindications and conflicts with other medications.
- You need a team dedicated to making you accountable for your weight loss and keeping you on track going forward.
- You need a competent, caring staff at your weight loss clinic dedicated to making you successful in achieving your weight loss goals.
- You need a team monitoring your success along the way and offering encouragement when needed.
- You need a long term plan to maintain your new healthy lifestyle and weight management tools to help you keep the weight off.
We know what works in medically supervised weight control. We have been doing medically supervised weight management for over 40 years. Together, we can make it work for you!